Xtext 0.7.2 artefacts installed to Maven repository

Finally I came to deploy the Xtext 0.7.2 artefacts to the Maven repository at openarchitectureware.org. I almost forgot that I did not that so far, but Michael Clay dropped me a mail today.

Maintaining the repository is a hard an error prone task. With each updated plugin the POM files need to be adjusted manually. Therefore each plugin manifest must be opened and the dependencies compared. Fortunately this stayed stable through the Xtext 0.7.x releases and also the underlying Eclipse libraries did not need to be updated after the Galileo release. I hope in future Eclipse plugins will be automatically deployed to a central Maven repository. There is currently some discussion on this in Eclipse Bug#283745.

I have optimized the manual deployment process a bit for myself. In my workspace I set up a project reflecting the repository structure. The jars are placed like they are stored in the repository with pattern {artifactId}-{version}.jar. Slightly different for the POMs. In the repository they are stored with pattern {artifactId}-{version}.pom, but in my workspace slightly different with {artifactId}-{version}.jar.pom.

The reason for is that I configured an External Tool configuration in Eclipse for deployment, which invokes the Maven deployment using “mvn deploy:deploy-file”. The property “pomFile” is computed from the selected resource through the {selected_resource_loc} variable (which ends with .jar), appended with “.pom”.

This way the jar file just needs to be selected and the deployment is executed with the external tool launcher.

[INFO] Scanning for projects...
[INFO] Searching repository for plugin with prefix: 'deploy'.
[INFO] ------------------------------------------------------------------------
[INFO] Building Maven Default Project
[INFO] task-segment: [deploy:deploy-file] (aggregator-style)
[INFO] ------------------------------------------------------------------------
[INFO] [deploy:deploy-file]
Uploading: scp://openarchitectureware.org/home/oaw/m2/repository/org/eclipse/xtext/xtext-core/0.7.2/xtext-core-0.7.2.jar
1495K uploaded
[INFO] Retrieving previous metadata from releases.openarchitectureware.org
[INFO] Uploading repository metadata for: 'artifact org.eclipse.xtext:xtext-core'
[INFO] Uploading project information for xtext-core 0.7.2
[INFO] ------------------------------------------------------------------------
[INFO] ------------------------------------------------------------------------
[INFO] Total time: 37 seconds
[INFO] Finished at: Thu Sep 24 21:06:43 CEST 2009
[INFO] Final Memory: 3M/6M
[INFO] ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Of course the repository must be configured in the ~/.m2/settings.xml file. The repository is accessed with SCP, authentication is done with public/private key.


Posted via email from Karsten’s Blog

1 thought on “Xtext 0.7.2 artefacts installed to Maven repository

  1. Pingback: Building Xtext projects with Maven Tycho « Karsten's Blog

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s